Monday, September 28, 2009

Mum doesn't want me on a motorbike (6/20)

My five year old son was extremely excited when I told him that I was thinking of purchasing a motorbike.

However, he made the mistake of telling his nana (my mum).

Although it was funny to hear a 50+ woman and a 5 year old getting into a verbal battle over whether I would buy a motor bike or not!

Ever since the 'great debate' was had, mum constantly reminds me that she doesn't want to see me on a motorbike and that I would be a lot 'safer' if I didn't get one.

Mum is more than qualified to make these statements as my father came off his bike several times during his 'riding days'.

In fact, when they got married dad had both arms and one leg in plaster (true story!)

Not that riding a motorbike was the eventual demise for my dad (we can blame his lifestyle choices of excessive alcohol, smoking and a sedentary lifestyle for that).

I don't tell you this for the sympathy but more in the hope that it helps someone else make some positive changes for their (and their families) health.

Let's talk about the whole 'staying safe' thing.

Mum doesn't want me on a motorbike because it is unsafe.

Ok, fair enough.

But what about the 'adventurous, risk-taking, out of the comfort zone' part of my life that needs to be regularly fed (as does everyone's).

What ever happened to taking risks.

Risks are good.

We have to take risks in our life to be able to grow as a person.

Do you think the first guy to challenge the belief that the world was flat (Ferdinand Magellan) was taking a risk?

Yep.

Do you think his mum told him that she didn't want him to go?

Yep.

But he did it anyway.

And thankfully he did. He made that HUGE dicovery that has sinced changed the world and the way in which every person views it.

He took the risk and not only did he grow as a person but so did the whole planet. (Just for the record, Magellan died before the journey was complete, but you know where I'm coming from)

You haven't got to look far to see other people that took huge risks and the world benefitted from it:

The first men to walk on the moon.

risk, but great reward.

The first black lady to take a front seat on the bus normally occupied by whites only (Rosa Parks).

risk, but great reward.

The first person to realise they could drink what comes out of the cows udder.

risk, but great reward?

For every great risk, there is great reward.

A terrific story of risk comes from Sir Richard Branson.

It was a time in the Virgin life when the Virgin airline was getting a lot of unfair negative press (mostly derived from other airlines) saying that Virgin was going under and they couldn't afford to repay loans or pay for airplane fuel, etc.

The Virgin airline was in trouble.

In the same week, the Rolling Stones (only the greatest rock and roll band EVER - bar none, in case you were wondering) were looking for new producers.

Richard Branson decided it was too big an opportunity to miss and he bought the Stones for a lazy $100 MILLION.

Imagine that.

Let's put it in to perspective.

Let's say you have just been told your boss is cutting back and needs to 'downsize'.

Your name is thrown in the ring as a potential employee to be chopped.

At that point you then go out and buy a second house.

Big risk!

Sure, it was a risk for Branson. But with it came a great reward.

I believe sometimes we get so hung up on the risks of doing things that we forget just how enjoyable the reward will be.

Let's do some comparisons:

Risk of flying vs the reward of seeing some of the most incredible countries and places this planet has to offer.

Risk of losing money by setting up a new business vs the reward of a flourishing business that allows you to reinvest in other ventures.

Risk of getting burned in a relationship vs the reward of finding someone you are truly happy spending time with.

I really believe there isn't too many cases where the reward doesn't far out way the potential risk.



So mum, whether I decide to get on a motorbike or not is yet to be decided. But I want you to know that if I do, I am aware of your concern (as any good mother would be) and I hope that after reading this (if you read it) you will understand why I have made that choice in my life.
Let me know about the risks you are going to (or have) taken.

Keep intensity high and excuses low

Matt Collins

5 comments:

Brentwz said...

I rode over a million miles (that's 1.6 million kilometres) on big road-based motorcycles, including around Australia, 4 months in Europe, England & Wales on a BMW, & my mother trusted me.
Funny, I never considered motorcycling as risky. It's other humans we have to watch out for & that's what life is about. Navigating through the amazing variables of humanity. Go for it, have fun, mate. By the way, if you're any good at it, I'm happy to go pillion sometime.

Goal Power Training said...

Can't wait to see your Mum's response when she learn's you plan to run with the bulls!!! x

ben10 said...

i am going to get my motorbike license, and when i get back frm england i am going to get my bike. my problem is that dad andmum dont want me to get a bike whilsti live at home (cuz im still under their responsibility...) BUT, everyone must know that the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing. the person who risks nothing, has nothing... only a person who risks is free

Unknown said...

I would imagine its not just the fact your mother is concerned you could get hurt. Some risks are greater than other especially the ones that can effect not only your life for the worst but also the lives of loved ones. What happens if you get badly injured or even worse. Looks like for starters your childs life and your mum's life will be affected. They have to take the risks as well. You've already talked to your mum about it and looks like she doesn't wish to take that risk. I think your being very selfish. There are other risks that can be taken as you've mentioned that will not hurt others. So calculated risks that involve only you taking the brunt of the risk with very minimal fallout to others why not.
It's like this young girl who's setting off around the world sailing in her yaght. Wow what a risk. The difference is her parents a willing to take the risk as well, along with any consequences and have backed her.
Well good luck hope you make the right choice.

Briohny said...

The motorbike shops usually offer a safety riding course which might put your mum's mind at ease. All risk can be reduced if you take care when you are riding and act like everyone else on the road is a really bad driver. We got a bike earlier this year and love it! I was even thinking of learning how to ride one myself and I'm a chicken who would never contemplate running with bulls!!